So I posted recently about my new found love for Ubuntu linux. I did have some problems getting it installed though. I would boot up the Live CD and, even in safe graphics mode, I would get a garbled screen once Ubuntu had started off.
This was kind of a showstopper since all the solutions I saw involved already having ubuntu installed and loaded. Thanks to the guys on #ubuntu I learned about the alternate install CD and managed to get that on. I still had the same problem but could get into the recovery mode console and so here is what I did (with help from various internet postings)
- install ubuntu form the alternate install cd
- boot into the recovery console
- type “sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg”
- set the video type to be “vesa”
- reboot normally – hey, it works!
- install Automatix
- Let Automatix install the Nvidia drivers (together with lots of other cool things)
and you’re done!
corrected the typo pointed out by elijah below